Day 6 – I’m thankful for the many self-help books and memoirs I’ve read during my recovery.
The day after any holiday sometimes feels like a let-down to me. There are the anticipation, the preparation, the build-up and then the actual festivities of the holiday. But once the celebration is over, the guests are gone, and the cleaning is done, I tend to feel lonely. During my recovery from Binge-Eating Disorder, I’ve had to learn how to cope in healthy ways with that lonely feeling. In recent years, as I get more into meditation and feel more comfortable spending time in quiet reflection, this gets easier. Today, during one of my quiet moments I looked through some books that I hadn’t looked at in a long time. Many of them were helpful to me during my decision to get out of B.E.D. So, I thought it would be appropriate today to share some of those helpful books with you. I’m certainly thankful for those who wrote them.
1. Overcoming Binge Eating – by Dr. Christopher G. Fairburn
2. Binge No More – by Joyce D. Nash, PhD
3. Life Without Ed: How One Woman Declared Independence From Her Eating Disorder and How You Can Too – by Jenni Schaefer
4. Goodbye Ed, Hello Me: Recover From Your Eating Disorder And Fall In Love With Life – by Jenni Schaefer
5. Women, Food, and God by Geneen Roth
6. The Religion of Thinness by Michelle M. Lelwica, ThD
These are just a few that I turn to time and again. Thank you to all of these authors!